Akiva School only accepts inquiries of interest and resumes via email: email@example.com. We regret that due to the high volume of inquiries we receive, we are unable to reply to phone inquiries. Please do not call the office. We will process employment application materials as quickly as possible.
Should the search committee feel that your qualifications meet the needs of a specific position, you will be notified for further follow-up. Resumes will be kept on file until the beginning of the following school year.
Salaries are negotiated with the Head of School at the time of a job offer and are based on a candidate’s experience and qualifications, thus we are unable to speculate about a particular position’s salary.
If you are interested in an open position listed below, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applying for a teaching position, please include a teaching philosophy statement, 2-3 recommendation letters, and transcripts of all post-secondary work.
It is the policy of Akiva School to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification.
2017-18 OPEN POSITIONS
Jewish Studies and Hebrew Teacher
Akiva Community Day School located in Nashville, Tennessee has an opening for an energetic, creative, and skillful educator to join an incredible team of dynamic teachers. The successful candidate will have a strong background in Jewish Studies, Hebrew fluency, elementary teaching experience, and a drive to teach Hebrew and Jewish thought to children overflowing with excitement and curiosity every day. In addition to this, the candidate will have experience teaching elementary school children, be comfortable teaching in classes with up to 17 students with multiple learning profiles and plan accordingly using instructional grouping so that all children’s needs can be met. Experience and interest in working with special needs students is a plus.
Akiva Community Day School is a Kindergarten through 6th grade school that is dedicated to providing its students with the opportunity to learn about, analyze, and develop their identity as Jews and Americans in the world. Nestled in the heart of Nashville, TN, the school is dedicated to academic excellence in both General and Judaic Studies, and is part of a community that upholds and supports this city’s only Jewish Day School. Applicants should be committed to teaching Ivrit B’Ivrit, skilled at their craft, and adept at teaching and catering to a wide range of student abilities and styles. Experience with the Tal-Am curriculum a plus. We are looking for someone with a passion for what they do, respect for confidentiality, a true team player, and a commitment to strong and positive communication with teachers, students, and parents.
Actively work to instill a love for Judaism, the Jewish people, Israel and the Israeli culture in our students and families
- Teach 2 grades of Hebrew and Jewish Studies (4, 42 min. classes) and one period of Tefillah (30 min. period)
- Individualized instruction through grouping in the classroom and other appropriate choices when applicable
- Share in the supervision of duties outside of the classroom, including lunch, recess, and end of the day
- Attend all faculty meetings, required trainings, and after-school events
- Support the family-centered environment that Akiva works to provide
- Have a passion and commitment to teaching Ivrit
- Work with our committed and spirited faculty to continue mapping, developing and
implementing Ivrit curriculum in the school
- Teach about and lead daily prayer, weekly Shabbat celebrations, and holiday observance in the school
- Assess student performance formally and informally to meet the school’s benchmarks in Judaics and Ivrit and communicate this to the
Principal and all Judaics, Ivrit, support staff, and parents when applicable
- Respect and learn about all forms of observance and maintain the open
and thoughtful environment to multiple perspectives so coveted by our
teachers, families, and students
- Keep up with the discipline of best practices, and work to help
identify key texts, ideas, materials and supplies that work to reflect the
school’s mission of academic excellence
- Communicate with students, teachers, support staff, and families to ensure the highest quality educational experience for our students
We are looking for someone with a passion for what they do and a commitment to strong communication with teachers, students, and parents. We look forward to meeting and speaking with any qualified candidate.